Tuesday, December 18, 2007

The World has come to us

Twenty years ago, who would have thought that Arlington, TX would be as culturally diverse as it currently is. In the past twenty years, the world has come to us. What are we doing about it?

A friend of mine from Costa Rica commented to me the other day that the biggest adjustment for her in living here is how isolated everyone is here. That comment struck me funny. The US...isolated? We have immediate access to every form of communication, to every comfort, etc. I asked her to explain. She said that she notices that everyone drives alone, that we are all so busy going from place to place that there is no time for community. She said she doesn't really think that anyone really knows anyone else. That comment hurt me, momentarily, and then as I processed it, I realized how incredibly insightful it was.

I was reading an article the other day about all of the international students in our community. The interesting part of this article was the extremely high percentage of foreign students who come and study for four years on UTA campus and never have a meal in an American home. I thought there was no way that the statistic could be true. Then I began to think through the international students I know. Just through UTA, I have met students from China, India, Jordan, Albania, Mexico, Canada, Germany, Korea, South Africa, Niger, and the list goes on and on. Of all of them, I could only think of one that I've ever invited into my home. That personal record put me to shame.

I have such a great desire to reach out to this world, and to invite people into my church. But I've failed miserably at just extending the hand of hospitality and inviting someone who is new to this country and this culture into my home for a meal. I'll travel to Cuba to minister and fellowship, but I don't do it here, in my home court?

My brother recently shared a meal with a Jewish family. He and his family went into the home of their new friends, and shared in their customs. What a wonderful experience for my brother and his wife and children! It wasn't just a faith difference that they experienced, but a lifestyle difference (diet, etc.). What a fantastic way to build that relationship between the families.

When you look at scripture and at the early church, that time of fellowship was so important to the Christian community. How many times did Jesus share a meal with someone in their home? It seems like it was an every day occurence. When we go out on the mission field, RELATIONSHIPS are how we reach people. That's why we go back to the same places time after time. That trust, commitment, friendship is so key in opening the door to share our faith.

How does that fit into our American culture? I don't think it does. I think our culture IS isolated. I think that we are so self-involved and so busy that we rarely sit back and evaluate the depth of relationships in our lives. I think most of us are satisfied with knowing a bunch of people, when in reality, we "know" very few. I think this is one of those places where we as Christians have to make a conscious effort to not be a part of this world (this culture), but reach out beyond it, and cultivate real relationships.

I'm terrible at New Year's resolutions, but I know what mine is going to be this year. Dennis and I sat down and discussed it this morning. We are setting the goal to invite at least one person a month, that is NOT a part of our church, into our home for a meal (and don't worry...I won't be doing the cooking!!!!).

Here's my challenge to you: Look for ways this holiday season and throughout the year to cultivate relationships that break down barriers. Look for ways to invest in other people's lives. It's not enough to simply invite them to church. We need to dig deeper, open ourselves up more, open our homes and look for ways to have a meaningful impact on our neighbors. God has brought this world to us. We must share His message of grace and love and build community with those around us.

Revelation 14:6 Then I saw another angel flying in midair, and he had the eternal gospel to proclaim to those who live on the earth—to every nation, tribe, language and people.

No comments:

On Top of Pecos Baldy

On Top of Pecos Baldy
...what a memory!