Monday, August 4, 2008

Monterrey Devotional Day 4: Endurance and Purpose

Though I’m writing this in advance of the trip, today (day 4) is most likely going to be the hardest day of this journey. We’ve performed the concert, we’ve painted, we’re on the last day of the Children’s camp. We’re trying desperately to complete the painting and tasks we’ve come to accomplish. It’s hot. We’re ready for our own beds and the remote. We’re ready to hug our loved ones that have been left behind. It’s a tough day. Today, we need to pray diligently for endurance.

Philippians 3:12-14 says, “Not that I have already obtained all this, or have already been made perfect, but I press on to take hold of that for which Christ Jesus took hold of me. 13Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. But one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, 14 I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus.”

Our task today is evangelism. There is a message to be sung and lived out. People are watching you even today. You are a witness at the hotel, among the church members, with the parents and children, prisoners, cashier at the Home Depot, etc.

I have a confession to make (which probably won’t come as a surprise). I am a terrible evangelist! Evangelism is not my spiritual gift. I do music missions because I feel called to discipleship—teaching others and building them up in the faith. But, when it comes to evangelism, I get scared. I stumble over my words and thoughts. I think it’s because I’m so passionate about it that I try to overcomplicate it. The Gospel is so full of mystery and seemingly complex (because it blows our mind that God would humble Himself on our account), but it’s also so simple. It transcends every language, culture, walk of life, age, gender. It’s amazing.

So, today, be bold. If you are going to the prison—sing with Jesus spilling out of your mouth and on your face. If you are shopping, hand a ticket to a salesperson or someone even on the street. If you are at the hotel, invite a hotel employee to the concert tonight, or to church tomorrow. Be bold. God will give you the words to say. More than likely, it will come much more naturally than you think.

Meditate on this promise:
Isaiah 55:8-11 says, “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,” says the Lord. “As the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways and my thoughts than your thoughts. As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, SO IS MY WORD THAT GOES OUT FROM MY MOUTH: IT WILL NOT RETURN TO ME EMPTY, BUT WILL ACCOMPLISH WHAT I DESIRE AND ACHIEVE THE PURPOSE FOR WHICH I SENT IT.”

All we have to do is proclaim. He transforms. All we have to do is plant. He brings forth the fruit. His Word WILL NOT COME BACK VOID!

Last Sunday, in the 2nd service, the choir and the orchestra were singing their anthem. We had a monitoring issue in the orchestra area (not anyone’s fault…just one of those things that sometimes happens). In the middle of the anthem, the orchestra and rhythm were exactly 1 beat behind the choir. That meant they were one beat off on every chord changes. All the sudden, for about 20 measures, instead of “I Still Cling to the Old Rugged Cross”, it sounded like The Gaithers meets Screamo (well maybe not quite that bad, but that's what it felt like). But, the soloist and pianist hung tight and managed to get us all back together, and we ended fine. But, I was upset because I thought that I had ruined worship (how egotistical!!!). But, at the end of the song, I was amazed—everyone clapped. People responded to the Gospel message that the soloist and choir sang. God’s Word did not come back void, but rather touched the hearts of His worshipers.

You see, we are flawed messengers, but we are delivering a perfect Message. A perfect, protected Message.

So, be bold. Allow God to use you. He will amaze you…that’s just what He does!

Lord, how sweet it is to be in Your presence. We thank You that You can use us—imperfect, damaged individuals. We thank You for trusting us to be Your messengers of Your Gospel Truth. Help us to step out of our comfort zones today. Reveal to us in an undeniable way those who need to hear about You. Help us to boldly respond. Use us. We love You, and count it all joy that we have this opportunity to serve You today!

No comments:

On Top of Pecos Baldy

On Top of Pecos Baldy
...what a memory!