Wednesday, October 8, 2008

A Builder's Faith

James 1:2-3 says, "Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, for the testing of your faith produces endurance."

Have you ever known anyone with incredible faith? Faith that plummeted the depths of your understanding? Have you ever seen someone toil day after day and still manage to dig deep, and find the joy in every circumstance? Not a fake, plastered smile, but a heaviness in their spirit--one of resolve and hope and peace that came only from joy in Christ.

This is what I experienced among my brothers and sisters in Cuba. They have a deep, growing, joy-filled faith that stems from their daily walk with God. They don't take His Word lightly. They walk daily with Him as "Lord", because apart from him, they have NOTHING.

When I went to the Eastern part of the island, I saw several families living together in one home. We're not talking one of our American homes. I'm talking about 4 concrete walls (about 10 X 10) with MAYBE one or two smaller rooms with concrete walls, and a concrete floor. We threw a bucket of water down the toilet to "flush" it. We bathed with a bucket, standing in what seemed to be a bathtub. Sometimes that bucket of water would be fresh, and sometimes it wasn't. It rained every afternoon, and the streets were mud, so as I walked the mile and a half between the home and the church, I'd slosh mud up on me the entire way. They thought this was so funny--that I didn't know "how to walk" so that I could keep the mud off of me. So, when I got to the church, they'd greet me with a towel, and I'd attempt to get all of the mud off of my legs while they laughed. We found a lot to laugh about.

When I was there, 2 years ago, there was a food shortage. I thought, "I've got money, so I'll just buy them some food." We went to several villages, and I pulled out my American dollars, and found the same answer that they did daily -- there wasn't ANY food. So, for 8 days, we had rice and plantain. I've told you the story before...we had mashed plantain, fried plantain, boiled plantain. The amazing thing was that they were so fed by the Word of God, that I never heard them complain. We would sit around the table and feed off of the sweet fellowship, the laughter and the friendships. All I heard about were the wonderful ways that God had sustained them, and the things he was doing in their lives. The people had nothing compared to our earthly standards, but they had joy!

Why do I bring all of this up again? Because I received an email yesterday from one of the worship leaders there. He is one of the most influential, and yet humble, leaders in the area. I've taken out names and locations so he can't be identified. I wanted to share with you this modern day saint's words of faith:

"Hello my sister Emily. We never forget you, thank you because you always remembers us. Thanks to God we are well, How are you and your family? The hurricane harmed us a lot of, thanks to God we are alive, now we are working a lot to continue ahead, the temple of our church in __________ was largely destroyed. Now I am not musician of the church, I am builder. We are lifting the construction to take place where to meet, we making the service with sky as our roof. Wonderful are the services of adoration to God always with the stars on our heads. Thanks to God that has never rained while we are in the service. help us in pray, so that we can get what we lack for the temple, if you know to some person or church that wants to help, you can communicate with ________, they know what to make. ...(some personal greetings and updates, and then) Greetings to all, I have many problems with my mail, now I don't have telephone where I am living, it is very difficult the communication but God knows everything. Always your brother that don't forget you, ________________"

Do you see the praise in his words? He praises God for the opportunity to worship with "the stars on our heads". He thanks God that it hasn't rained while they were in worship services. He has abandoned his role as musician, and now has joyfully put on the hat of "builder".


I am telling you about this for three reasons:
1. I want you to be encouraged -- God's people ARE COVERING this earth. And they are faithful.
2. Be challenged. Actively participate in every opportunity that you have to cultivate that joy-filled faith journey with our Father. He is our Sustainer. He is the Great Physician. He is our Rock. He is the Cornerstone.
3. Pray. I read this, and immediately I want to fix their situation. But I can't outside of God's authority. However, I can pray, and follow God's lead. Pray that we (our missions team to that region) will have an appropriate response to their situation. Pray that God will help us with all of the practicalities associated with that response. Pray that He will call forth a team of people with the right skills, and willingness of heart, to go and help. Pray that their spirits will not be crushed as they toil, but with each hammer stroke, and each stage of the rebuilding, they will be drawn closer to God. Pray that they will be able to draw others close to Him through their acts of faithfulness.


My favorite passage to pray through, and I prayed through it with my brothers and sisters in this village last time I was there, is Philippians 1:2-6. Begin with this as your prayer today for them:


Father, reveal to our brothers and sisters in this region the grace and peace that you have for them through Jesus Christ. I thank You, my God, in every remembrance of my brothers and sisters there, always offering a joy-filled prayer in every prayer I pray for them, in view of their participation in the gospel from the first day until now. For I am confident of this very thing, that You who began a good work in us and them will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

On Top of Pecos Baldy

On Top of Pecos Baldy
...what a memory!