Monday, November 8, 2010

LOVE: Building Significant Spiritual Relationships

This week, I was riding in the car with a friend of mine. We were on our way to play a “gig” in Ft. Worth. She is an incredible Christian woman, and we were talking about a conversation she recently had.

She walked into a small shop in Arlington to sign her daughters up for sewing lessons. After talking with the woman for a short time, she made the comment, “Well God has certainly blessed you.” The woman immediately informed her that she didn’t believe in God. My friend immediately found herself in a spiritual conversation without even expecting it or preparing for it. But, she had the opportunity to witness to this woman. The woman didn’t accept Christ, but she did hug my friend and said she looks forward to future conversations as my friend brings her daughters for sewing lessons.

Sunday evening, several of the kids in the youth choir were telling me what God was doing in their lives. One girl – who almost never says a word – came and found me after rehearsal. She wanted to share with me what God was doing. God placed her next to a boy in one of her classes who claims to be an atheist. She has had the opportunity to have many spiritual conversations with this young man. Through time, he’s come to respect her and has told her so. She had tears in her eyes as she told me her fear that she isn’t going to know all the answers or say the right thing. I reminded her that God placed her there for a purpose and He would give her the words. It wasn’t about who she is, it’s about who God is.

LOVE – this is one of our growth areas. I’ll bet you expected me to say “SHARE”. But really, it all starts with LOVE. In both of these situations, it is going to take time to build a significant spiritual relationship. It takes time to earn trust and respect. But both of these women were available for God to use them—even when they weren’t expecting it, and maybe felt less than prepared.

We have an opportunity this week right here on our own campus to build significant spiritual relationships – to LOVE. On Monday, November 15th, we expect to have between 75 and 100 students from UTA here to hear Music Mondays with UTA. I would like to encourage you all to be here to meet them and support them. It’s a wonderful opportunity to love on them, to begin to build relationships with both students and faculty members. If you are available and willing, please come at 12:15 (or a little early to visit) and stay afterward to host these students and faculty for lunch. The recital only lasts 30 minutes.

If you can’t be here, please join me in praying for this opportunity. Also, please join me in praying for the four individuals I mentioned above – that the believers will be faithful to love, and that God will soften and change the hearts of the unbelievers.

1 Corinthians 3:6 (NIV) I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow.

1 comment:

Mrs. Valente said...

I just love those opportunities! God is awesome!!:)

I'll definitely be in prayer for this.

Can't believe I'm just now finding your blog!!! :P

On Top of Pecos Baldy

On Top of Pecos Baldy
...what a memory!