Monday, October 17, 2011

Live Love

I have had the opportunity of having many spiritual conversations over the past few weeks. I've been surrounded by a more than usual number of people who either don't believe, or are disillusioned with the Church.

It's been an interesting journey. I've prayed to God for opportunities to share my faith journey. I've prayed for opportunities to listen to theirs. I've prayed for openings to share Christ. What I've discovered is that it takes time to build trust in a relationship. But, nevertheless, God has worked through these conversations. He's taught me a LOT about listening over the past few weeks. He's reminded me that I don't know it all. I know what matters--that Jesus Saves. But, I don't have "it" (walking "the Way") all figured out.

This morning, after much wrestling with God throughout the night about a variety of topics, He gave me one verse. It's a verse I've known practically my whole life. But it's one that in its simplicity is a hard thing to live out. In Mark 12:28-31, the teachers, the ones who KNEW the law, came to Jesus and asked him, "Of all the commandments, which is most important?" Jesus answered them, "Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. The second is this, 'Love your neighbor as yourself. THERE IS NO COMMANDMENT GREATER THAN THESE."

Simple words to live by, and yet so profound. First, we are to love God. If we line up our lives according to our relationship with Him, all else will fall into place. Secondly, we are to love others as we love ourselves. THIS IS HARD! I can't tell you how many times I want to curse people for simple things like the way they drive or because we don't share a similar viewpoint on things. It's so easy to fall into the trap of making man our enemy. We only have one enemy, and we need to be reminded of that. Satan lurks around every corner waiting to trip us up or keep us from winning another soul to Christ.

I love these words of scripture in Mark because they help us prioritize. First, God. Then, man. I have to admit, as a worship leader, that's a difficult thing. We hear so much from people about styles of music or things they like or don't like. It's an easy thing to fall into the pitfall of pleasing man over God. And yet, there's nothing satisfying in pleasing man when it's not God honoring. Just look at the leadership of David and Saul. Saul spent his kingship trying to please man, and failed miserably. David was "a man after God's own heart." As a worship leader, I hope that is someday said of me. "I am a woman after God's own heart." So, this scripture teaches us about priorities.

Finally, the focal word for me is "love". The world has polluted this word. People equate "love" with "lust", "sex", "greed". They've cheapened it. But God, as usual, has such a much higher goal. We are to LOVE the Lord our God! That means living in a daily relationship with Him. I live next door to my neighbor, but I don't talk to her everyday. I care about her, but I'm not growing daily in my relationship with her. God desires us EVERY DAY...EVERY MOMENT. He calls us to be "living sacrifices", to "pray without ceasing," to be carriers of His message of love and grace. Part of being in that oh so special relationship with Him is loving others...yes...even the difficult ones. Even the ones who cut you off in traffic or steal your parking spot. Even the child who calls your kid a name, or the person who criticizes you without any thought or idea of the "big picture". We are called to LOVE. We are called to lives bearing witness to the love of Christ. We are called to LIVE LOVE!

A simple scripture. A challenging message. Please pray for me as I attempt to live this out. I'm praying for you as you do the same! It's not easy. It's messy. But, it's the highest calling:
Love God, love others.

No comments:

On Top of Pecos Baldy

On Top of Pecos Baldy
...what a memory!