Monday, February 25, 2008

Abandon gives way to Abandon

We are in the midst of Lent. Reading through Holy Scripture, I can't help but focus on the cross, and Jesus' words there. "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani", "My God, My God, why have You forsaken me?" Those are challenging words for me. I read it and I feel complete and utter sadness, guilt, weightiness. It is a moment when Christ is completely abandoned to pay the penalty of sin in my life. Fully human, and completely abandoned. There is no rescue. There is no hope. He knows that what He faces--this Innocent One--is the wretched death sentence of my sin and your sin and the sin of every other human being that has walked the face of this earth. Utter darkness. Pain. Despair. A crying out that receives no answer. There is no hope.

That word "abandon" literally means "to leave completely and finally". When reading that definition, the word "finally" jumped out at me. …The finality of separation from God. Without Christ's sacrifice, it is overwhelming. Can you imagine? He had a choice. He was fully God. But at this moment chose to become fully human. Jesus had never before been separated from the Father, until this moment. He didn't have to go through that pain. But He chose to for you and for me.

Stuart Townend writes, "How deep the Father's love for us, how vast beyond all measure that He should give His only Son to make a wretch His treasure. How great the pain of searing loss, the Father turns His face away as wounds which mar the chosen One, bring many sons to glory."

God the Father turned His face away from Jesus the Son one time. Can you imagine how He grieved? Can you imagine how painful that was? Abandonment. Darkness. Pain. His Son.

Townend continues, "Behold the Man upon a cross, my sin upon His shoulders. Ashamed I hear my mocking voice, call out among the scoffers. It was my sin that held Him there until it was accomplished. His dying breath has brought me life. I know that it is finished."

Finally, the hope returns. With the death of Christ, and His triumph over death, our penalties were paid. Every last penalty--past, present and future--paid for. His dying breath brought me life. Here's where that dark, final abandon turns into glorious "abandon"--to yield (oneself) without restraint or moderation; give (oneself) over to natural impulses, usually without self-control--to worship. We are to boast in NOTHING but the power of Christ! We are to give ourselves over -- without restraint -- to the worship of Him.

"I will not boast in anything--no gifts, no power, no wisdom. But I will boast in Jesus Christ, His death and resurrection. Why should I gain from His reward? I cannot give an answer. But this I know with all my heart, His wounds have paid my ransom." Townend truly has a gift for expressing the beauty of the cross in this great hymn.

Today, there was a blackout at the church. I was in complete darkness. I've never seen it that dark anywhere. I was in the ensemble room off of the choir room. I didn't have my cell phone...no flashlight. It was pitch black. I felt my way (very slowly) out to the sunlight. It was a reminder to me that as I worship Him, that's what my life needs to be like. I am abandoning the darkness to the abandonment of worship of Him--unrelenting worship--worship without restraint--uninhibited worship. What a divine gift! God, the Divine Creator, the Lord over all, turned the hopelessness of abandonment into something glorious--the worship of His people.

Psalm 103:11-12 says, "For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. "

Thank you, Father, for being willing to abandon Your Son at the cross to pay the penalty for my sin. Thank you, Father, for the blessing and joy that come from worshiping You. Thank you, Father, for loving us so much, and removing our sins so far from us that we can share in fellowship and communion with You once again. Thank you for not abandoning us, but rather allowing us to abandon the things of this world in total and complete worship of You. We are Yours.

No comments:

On Top of Pecos Baldy

On Top of Pecos Baldy
...what a memory!