Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Tender-hearted Prayers

First, an update... My kids love the scripture cards. They look forward to that time each morning. As a matter of fact, it actually works as a motivation to get them up and going. The sooner they get ready, the more time we can spend with the scripture cards. Now, perhaps that's backward. We should give God our firstfruits. But when you're trying to get two kids up and ready for school, and you can use scripture as a motivation, I think God understands and accepts that offering.

One of the things that has meant the most to me is hearing my kids pray. The scripture cards I'm using have a scripture on the front and an explanation/prayer on the back. We've used the back of the cards to get my kids started praying in the morning. But the amazing thing is, giving them the few words to start prompts them to the most amazing prayers. For instance, last night, Ben and I were up in the middle of the night because he had a terrific sinus headache. He spent half the night crying. This morning, we read the scripture from Matthew, "Ask and it will be given to you, seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened to you." As Ben followed up the scripture with prayer, he didn't pray for God to relieve his headache, even though he still wasn't feeling well. I must confess, that was my prayer--I knew how he had agonized throughout the night. But Ben asked God for wisdom, peace and joy that comes from knowing God. My 10 year old son caught the value of that eternal perspective. He modeled it in his prayer, and he modeled it for his sister, who was listening intently. I know that God was pleased by that tender-hearted prayer this morning.

I am thankful for tender-hearted prayers. I'm thankful for the people who take time to teach my children and nurture that simple, yet powerful faith. It's not a meek (mouse-like) faith. It's strong. It's unwaivering. It's powerful. It's what God calls us all to have.

Ask, and it will be given to you. Seek and you will find. Knock and the door will be opened.

O Lord, I ask this morning that you place eternal things on our hearts. Help us to see with Your eyes. Help us to run from the materialistic or superficial things of this life, but instead to treasure Your knowledge, Your wisdom and Your power. Help us to gain those things so that we are better suited for Your Kingdom work. Thank you for the modeling of children and their simple faith. We love you, Lord!

1 comment:

Heather said...

What a beautiful story about Ben! Thanks for sharing! You're exactly the type of mom I hope to be one day! :)

On Top of Pecos Baldy

On Top of Pecos Baldy
...what a memory!