Monday, March 10, 2008

How to handle a bully 101

This is something I am writing for posterity. Some day, I want my son to read this story about his father, and be proud of him like I am.

Last week, my husband had an awful week at work. He works in sales, and the boss (we'll call him Frank) gave my husband's prime territory to Frank's step-daughter. My husband has consistently been one of the top sales people, and one of the most loyal to Frank, so this was frustrating to him. He made a comment to Frank about it, and a temper-tantrum ensued. Frank yelled and screamed. At one point, Frank backed my husband against the wall, with his finger in my husband's face and was screaming so close to him that my husband could feel and smell Frank's breath. My husband felt physically threatened, but rather than yell back or push him away, he merely stepped away and walked out the door of the building. Frank chased after him, yelling things like, "Are you walking out on me? Are you quitting? Are you leaving?" My husband, wisely, refused to answer until he had calmed down enough to keep his cool. When he could respond, he said, "Frank, I will not be bullied by you. You won't allow me to complete a sentence, and I can't respond to you until you do."

That's what I want my son to hear. His father walked away from a fight. But he didn't allow the man to bully him either. He merely called him into accountability. He made Frank aware of his actions. From that point on, an adult discussion took place, and resolution was made. Neither party was completely satisfied, but that's typical of conflict. Nobody's going to be satisfied 100% of the time. But, my husband kept his cool and his job, and Frank made some concessions and later promised not to gut anymore of my husband's territories. There were no threats made, no names called, just a rational discussion between adults.

Even adults make mistakes and act irrationally. But my husband took the high road. He managed to get his point across without escalating the situation. I'm proud of him. I'm thankful for how God works daily in his life, and for the example he sets for our children. Love you, honey!

No comments:

On Top of Pecos Baldy

On Top of Pecos Baldy
...what a memory!