Monday, May 12, 2008

Proverbs 31

Being Mother's Day and all, I spent some time pondering on Proverbs 31, and realizing how short I fall to the example laid out in that passage. But, I was also reminded of the incredible women God has placed in my life to be examples and to help me through each day--women who bless my life.

vv. 10-12 A wife of noble character who can find? She is worth far more than rubies.
Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value.
She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.


I was blessed to have a mother whose character was above reproach. Dad has always known that he could count on her for whatever he needed. She made our house a home--and a loving, happy one at that. She is incredibly noble, competent, generous, honest...the list goes on and on. I am thankful for the example she set forth for me on being a godly wife. I know that she set a wonderful example for my brothers because they couldn't have picked better wives suited for them. I'm so thankful for the partners that God has given each of us.

v. 15 She gets up while it is still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls.

I have been blessed to be in a family where the women worked hard. I learned such a strong work ethic from women like my mother (who was up early to make sure we had incredibly happy mornings) to my grandmother who worked in everything from her nursing job to missions to medical clinics. My grandmother turned 80 on Saturday and still has an amazing work ethic. And I can't forget my two aunts. Bunny studied and practiced with each of her kids, modeling excellence for her children (while working full time, playing for children's choirs, etc.). My aunt Erin has always been such a hard worker--there wasn't ever anything she couldn't do or accomplish. She can see the potential in anything. She's amazing.

vv. 23 & 25 She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come.
Her husband is respected at the city gate, where he takes his seat among the elders of the land.

When I read these verses, I can't help but think of my precious Mammy. She was the epitome of dignity and respect and refinement...and gentleness. And there was no doubt that Pappaw was not only respected at the city gate, but every where else he walked. The other woman in my life who is clothed with strength and dignity is Miss Jane Ellis. She has walked with the Lord and blessed tremendously my life, and the lives of other women in my family. She has instilled in each of us a love of music, but also modeled for us the importance of a close walk with the Lord.

v.28 Her children arise and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her:

Each of these women that I mentioned above have children that absolutely adore them. I pray that I will raise my children with excellence, respect, fear of the Lord, love overflowing, generosity, faith and strength as these have.

v.30 Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the LORD is to be praised.

Lord, my ministry is only as strong as my family. I pray that each and every day, You remind me of that. Strengthen my family daily. I pray that You will bring generations to come of strong women who fear You and walk closely with You. I thank You for the women You have placed in my life. I thank You for the wonderful women I work with on a daily basis--Amy and Beth--who model for me the importance of family. They are wonderful mothers who I have the privilege of learning from. I pray that You would use each of us to encourage each other in our journeys as women, mothers, wives, ministers, servants. We love You, Lord, and thank You for loving us. Amen.

No comments:

On Top of Pecos Baldy

On Top of Pecos Baldy
...what a memory!