Monday, April 28, 2008

NEGs

Have you ever known a NEG? That's short for one who "needs extra grace". You can call them needy, high maintenance, joy stealers, energy suckers.... I call them NEGs. I know it's not very nice, but I'm writing about my journey, and part of that is being honest about the sinful attitudes with which I struggle. Dealing with NEGs is one of those areas.

This week, I have encountered several NEGs. It is really easy when encountering these people, to become prideful, arrogant, judgmental, patronizing.... This week, as I found myself in that circumstance--dealing with NEGs and being quite put out that "they" were sucking so much energy from me (how arrogant), God slapped me in the face with Philippians 2:5-8:

Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death—even death on a cross!

I wonder if, as He hung from that cross, He thought, "That Emily...what a NEG." I am deserving of that name...NEG (and many others as well). But, somehow, I know He didn't think of it in the negative way. He thought about me and how I needed grace to save me from my sin that separated me from Him. He saw me as worthy. He saw me as His child. He saw my potential. He overlooked all of the blemishes and things in my life that suck joy, and He thought I was worth dying for. He thought every one of us was worth dying for.

As I thought about that passage of scripture, it reminded me that I want to be a grace giver--not a judge. I want to be humble, not proud. I want to be like Christ. It was a very firm reminder that I need extra grace every day, and there was One who was perfect and blameless who was willing to give it to me.

Amazing grace, how sweet the sound. Amazing love, now flowing down. His hands and feet, that were nailed to the tree. His grace flows down and covers me.

Lord, I pray for those in my life who need extra grace. I pray that I won't approach them with a haughty spirit, but a humble one. I pray that You will continue to place those individuals in my life. I pray that You will give me the tools I need to minister to them. I pray that I will learn from them and from their walk with You. I pray that You will sharpen me through those experiences. I pray that You will place people in my life who are willing to give me extra grace as needed. I pray that You will continue to unify this body of believers so that we can show Your grace, love and mercy to a world that so desperately needs it. Thank You, Lord for this tough, humbling lesson. Thank You for being willing to teach this sometimes prideful, dense soul. Thank You for using this NEG and not giving up on me. Help me to be more like You each day.

No comments:

On Top of Pecos Baldy

On Top of Pecos Baldy
...what a memory!