Monday, June 2, 2008

"In Love"

Ephesians 4:15-16 says, "Instead, speaking the truth in love, we will in all things grow up into him who is the Head, that is, Christ. From him the whole body, joined and held together by every supporting ligament, grows and builds itself up in love, as each part does its work."

This has been a remarkable month. Just in corporate worship, I have experienced seeing a strong class of seniors graduate on to the next stage in life, new babies dedicated into this family of faith, new staff positions and responsibilities, countless people serving selflessly in worship leadership, and powerful preaching. In rehearsals, I've seen 8th graders preparing to lead children in worship at children's camp, 3 year old choirs through senior adult choirs preparing to lead in worship, youth ensembles, adult ensembles, orchestras, rhythm sections, handbells, praise teams, media teams....it's overwhelming the number of people serving faithfully. Then, personally, I've seen Sunday school teachers, choir directors, karate teachers, orchestra teachers, coaches, parents, and so many other wonderful Christian people leading my children by example.

As Curt spoke Sunday, I was struck by the passage both he and Dennis mentioned: Ephesians 4. The part that jumped out at me was the passage above. Twice, Paul mentions that we are to do things "in love"--speak the truth, grow, build each other up. I can honestly say that I would not be the person I am today if I didn't have COUNTLESS Christian examples in my life who spoke the truth to me, instructed me, prayed for me and encouraged me "in love". I am thankful that this church continues to live out that legacy which Paul laid out for us in Holy Scripture.

I am thankful for Margaret Johnson, who was my hero growing up. I always wanted to be like her and admired her so. I was star-struck every time she came home on furlough, because I loved her stories about how God was at work, and I knew she was living her life for Christ. Because of her example, I learned to embrace God's calling in my life, and not to fear it.

I am thankful for faithful Sunday School teachers like Bill Johnson, Sondra Adair, Donna McCown and sound pastors, Dennis Wiles and Charles Wade who taught me, and continue to teach me, the truths in Holy Scripture. I'll never forget my 8th grade Sunday School class--we learned more about the Bible that year than I ever did in any other class. Because of their faithfulness, I learned to crave knowledge and depth in Scripture.

I am thankful for choir directors and musicians placed in my life. But none could compare to Barry Rock, who once asked me the most painful (but revealing) question "in love": "Are you worshiping God or are you worshiping the music?" It was a question that sent me and my husband on an incredible journey as we sought out why God gave us the tools He did in this body, and how He desired for us to use them. And I can't leave the "music" subject without mentioning Jane Ellis. What a remarkable musician, and what an incredibly faithful servant of the Lord! Her knowledge of the Bible and thirst for it as she continually studies and shares with younger women is inspiring. Because of their modeling, I learned that God desires my whole life, not just the musical part, and I learned that the music is just a tool that He has given so that others may be drawn to Him.

I am thankful for our youth and children who continue to challenge me every day. They are reminders that we must continue to grow, because we have a responsibility to shape them, and they are our future! Because of their uninhibited worship, I look forward to worshiping with abandon this week at children's camp.

Well, all in all, I was just overwhelmed with gratitude to God for placing me in a congregation of believers who challenge, grow, question, speak, teach, sing, worship and encourage "in love". I look forward to many more years of growing deeper in Christ with this body of believers.

Lord, thank You for opening the eyes of my heart and allowing the gratitude to spill out. You are good. Thank You for challenging Your people, and allowing us to grow, even through difficult times, "in love". Thank You for the Scripture, and how it leads us and guides us every step of the way in our walk with You. Thank You for being in relationship with us, and filling in the gaps our our limited understanding with Your Spirit. There are many lives still to shape and call forth in You. Help us to do our part. Amen.

No comments:

On Top of Pecos Baldy

On Top of Pecos Baldy
...what a memory!