Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Find Us Faithful

Last week, my son got in the car and absolutely fell apart. When I asked him what was wrong, he said he was afraid he was going to have a B in math. Now, I’m not a “check every grade”, “has to make straight A’s” parent. I don’t have regular teacher conferences—as a matter of fact I don’t know that I’ve ever had a teacher conference about grades. I’m probably too “hands off”. I had noticed that he had trouble with some of his papers, so, quite honestly, it didn’t come as a shock to me that he might make a B. But he was devastated.

I think sometimes we get so caught up in perfection. Perfection is something that is impossible to achieve this side of Heaven, yet we still get discouraged when we fall short. For my son, every college scholarship, honors class, and award was fleeting before his eyes. Ridiculous, right? But that was how he felt. For us, it may be as simple as getting behind in our daily readings for The Word of God for the People of God, and giving up because you can’t catch up. Or, maybe you don’t feel like coming to rehearsal, and don’t think anyone will really notice, or that your voice or instrument will really matter if it’s missing. Or, maybe you have fallen at some point in your life, and you feel you can never be useful to God’s Kingdom again. These are ways that satan steps in and discourages us from being faithful in our service to God.

David is one my favorite heroes of the faith. He failed time and time again, but he sought God. He didn’t just seek Him halfway—he sought him full out. He sought God with an uninhibited passion matched by no one else in scripture. David was also skilled. He dedicated his talents to the LORD. He played and wrote psalms of praise to God, using his gifts and skills. And God blessed him. David’s “heartsongs” to God have stood the test of time and exist even now to bless us, to minister to us during times of difficulty and to use as prayers and praises to Him. A perfect life? No. A life that mattered to the Kingdom of God? Absolutely!

So, what is required of us?

Jim Cowan wrote a song, “When It’s All Been Said and Done”. Here’s a portion of the text:

When it's all been said and done
There is just one thing that matters
Did I do my best to live for truth
Did I live my life for You?

My son was really upset last week. I couldn’t do anything to fix his grade…that time had come and gone. But, I asked him one simple question: “Did you do your best?” He could honestly say he had. I hugged him, and told him, “Then, that’s all you can do. It’s going to be okay.”

Only one perfect man walked this earth. Aren’t you glad He did?

Lord, thank You for loving us, imperfect as we are. Thank You for sending the One and Only to live a perfect life, and bear the weight of all of our shortcomings. Thank You for molding us and shaping us into who You desire for us to be, even when we fail You. Encourage us. Find us faithful.

No comments:

On Top of Pecos Baldy

On Top of Pecos Baldy
...what a memory!