Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Obedience: The Least of These

Last Friday, we began our drive home for Thanksgiving. It was a good Thanksgiving. We spent two days with my parents in their beautiful cabin in Glorieta. My Mom is one of the best cooks ever, so we had turkey and stuffing and cranberry sauce...and pumpkin pie and pecan pie... It was delicious.

The day after Thanksgiving, we had to come home because my husband was struggling with his back--so much so that he ate Thanksgiving dinner facedown in bed. So, Mom made my favorite leftovers for the road--turkey sandwiches--and we headed home.

If you've ever driven with me on a trip, you know that all I care about are four little words: "We made good time." This was my mission on Friday. My children were cramped in the car because Dennis had to lie down in his seat. Dennis was in intense pain. And I was the only driver. So I was anxious to get home!

As we were stopping for gas in Amarillo, something caught my eye. It was a man on the side of the road. He was sitting on the corner of the underpass with a sign that said, "I'm just hungry." I drove past him and into the gas station. But, as I pulled in to fill my car up with gas, Matthew 25:40 would not leave my mind, "...whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me."

I paid for the gas and pulled out the lunches that Mom had made for everyone. I gave the kids and Dennis their lunches, but I couldn't eat mine. MY FAVORITE SANDWICH was in that bag and I couldn't even open it. I looked back at that underpass with the man and his sign. I wasn't hungry--I don't know hunger. Not many of us do. I pulled back around and pulled up to him and gave him the sandwich and a bottled water and dessert. He jumped up with a BIG smile on his face and ran over to the car and thanked us. This former statue on the side of the road came to life over the prospect of a leftover turkey sandwich.

As I drove away, I realized how desensitized I've become to people in need. I wondered how many people I drive by daily who are asking for help. I wondered how many times I could have helped someone, but was simply to self-centered to notice them or their need. I was ashamed that it this was just a sandwich, yet I had the spiritual battle of whether or not to be obedient rise up within me. My prayer quickly became, "God, please make me more sensitive to Your Spirit--to Your people."

I began to reflect on who Jesus was/is. Jesus is light. He came into a dark world, and he lit up this world! John 8:12 (NIV1984) says,
"I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

But following Jesus doesn't just mean paying lip service. It means following in His steps, imitating His actions, growing in relationship with the Father. It means denying our very nature--our self-centeredness, our greed, our comfort -- and taking up our cross and following Him.

This Advent season, our theme is Jesus Christ: Light of the World. We have the opportunity to share that light in this world. As you go through this season, ask God to make you more aware. Ask Him to help you be obedient to His leading. Ask Him to consider "the least of these".

There are so many in need. We have such an opportunity to make a difference in the darkness of this world. Ulitimately, this is my prayer for all of us this season:
"Let your light shine before men that they may see your good deeds and praise your Father in Heaven." Matthew 5:16 (NIV1984)

No comments:

On Top of Pecos Baldy

On Top of Pecos Baldy
...what a memory!