Monday, December 20, 2010

Pray Expectantly

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and I will bring you back from captivity." -- Jeremiah 29:11-14a (NIV1984)

I finished my Christmas gigs last Saturday night. I always love playing the corporate parties and seeing how different people celebrate this time of year. My friend that I play with is a wonderful Christian woman. She has prayed for me in many situations, and I have prayed for her. I was telling her of how God had answered a specific prayer. When she dropped me off at my house, she said, "Emily, I've been praying specifically for that. But I think I'm a pessimistic prayer. I didn't think God would answer that prayer need so quickly."

Her comment caused me to examine my prayer life. I found her sentiment reflected what often times happens in my own prayer life. I pray out of obedience, but not always with expectation. I've decided that I need to re-frame the WAY that I pray. When I bring things to God, I need to bring them EXPECTING Him to answer them. I need to pray boldly.

One of my grandfather's favorite hymns was Sweet Hour Of Prayer. Listen to what the hymn writer, William Walford, pens in his second stanza:

Sweet hour of prayer, sweet hour of prayer,
Thy wings shall my petition bear
To Him whose truth and faithfulness
Engage the waiting soul to bless:
And since He bids me seek His face,
Believe His word and trust His grace,
I'll cast on Him my ev'ry care,
And wait for Thee, sweet hour of prayer.

My prayer for all of us in 2011 is that we will pray boldy, with expectation.

Ephesians 6:18 (TLB)
Pray all the time. Ask God for anything in line with the Holy Spirit's wishes. Plead with him, reminding him of your needs, and keep praying earnestly for all Christians everywhere.

No comments:

On Top of Pecos Baldy

On Top of Pecos Baldy
...what a memory!