Monday, October 22, 2007

Knowing God

I'm reading an incredible book right now: Knowing God by J.I. Packer. Packer has so many nuggets for developing a deeper relationship with God, but one of my favorites is a quote from a sermon of Charles Spurgeon. In this day and age, everyone wants answers. They expect Christians to have all of the answers. The funny thing is, in my walk with God, I find that the longer I walk and closer I walk with Him, the more I realize I do not know. I can't say it any better than Spurgeon, so I'm just going to leave with you today his words:

No subject of contemplation will tend more to humble the mind than thoughts of God...But while the subject humbles the mind, it also expands it. Nothing will so enlarge the intellect, nothing so magnify the whole soul of man, as devout, earnest, continued investigation of the great subject of the Deity...so go, plunge yourself in the Godhead's deepest sea; be lost in his immensity; and you shall come forth as from a couch of rest, refreshed and invigorated.

No wonder Paul says in Philippians Chapter 3 that he considers everything loss compared to the surpassing knowledge of Christ. In Paul's words,


Philippians 3:10a I want to know Christ...

No comments:

On Top of Pecos Baldy

On Top of Pecos Baldy
...what a memory!