Monday, October 22, 2007

Salt and Light

It is not an easy thing to be salt and light in this world. We are surrounded by pitfalls and snares at every turn (not to mention terrible drivers and difficult people). It's hard enough to even be witness in my own family, let alone love and witness to the people of this world.

One of the most difficult things in the American culture is evangelism. For some reason, I can go to a foreign country, and I have no problem evangelizing. But in my own backyard? It's very difficult. Rory Noland, in his book The Heart of the Artist says that in order to reach the unchurched, you have to meet them where they are and use a language they can understand. This is true whether it be spoken language or use of the arts. But what does this mean?

It used to really bug me when I would hear a secular song being played on KLTY. I thought they were watering down Christianity. In fact, it's quite the contrary. If we can connect with people where they are, they are much more likely to listen. For instance, if someone is flipping stations and they hear U2 "Where the Streets Have No Name" or Chris Daughtry's "I'm Coming Home", they might be more likely to stay, and maybe hear the message of grace through another song like Chris Tomlin's "Amazing Grace (My Chains are Gone)". Paul gave an example of this type of application when speaking in Athens. He used the "language of their poets" to describe their (our) connection with God (his offspring--Acts 17:28).

It's the same for us in real, everyday life. It's not rocket science. It's just living with the mindset that what we do makes a difference. People are watching how we live. We do matter. They are looking for REAL people with REAL lives and REAL circumstances.

A great example of this comes from an 11 year old boy. This boy had been disappointed in the position the coach had him playing on the football team. But, through one of our Pastor's sermons, this little boy realized that it wasn't entirely about him, but about the team, and made the commitment to look out for the betterment of the team. The next day, that little boy went to football practice. The coaches were running the boys hard. There was one little boy who was overweight, and really struggling. Rather than make fun, or not encourage him, that 11 year old boy who heard his Pastor's words finished his laps. He then went out and joined his teammate and ran extra laps so that he could finish with and encourage his teammate. That little boy made a difference--he was a witness in that moment.

We all have opportunities like that--EVERYDAY. We also easily come up with excuses to overlook them or avoid them. But, if an 11 year old boy can do it, then surely we seasoned adults can. My challenge today (to myself) is to find an opportunity every day this week to be salt and light. Maybe through one action of mine, one person will notice and will start down the path of leading that individual to my Savior. All it takes to start that trickle down is the courage to take that first step.

I love Romans 12. It doesn't tell us to beat our neighbor over the head with the Bible or use high and mighty Christian language when talking (often down) to non-believers. It doesn't say, "Get angry with lost people because they hold football practice on Wednesday night or cuss or don't treat others right". It says,
Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody...live in harmony...honor one another above yourselves....

That's my goal for this week!

Lord, help me to be real. Help me to make a difference in this world. Help me not to overlook or make excuses when opportunities arise for me to be salt and light. Help me to live a life that's authentic and worthy, so that people will see what is real in my life and not a facade that I've put up for their benefit. I love You, Lord. I thank You that You are willing to meet each and every one of us where we are every day.

No comments:

On Top of Pecos Baldy

On Top of Pecos Baldy
...what a memory!