Friday, January 4, 2008

Waiting....not my Forte!

I have been convicted lately about the fact that I tend, in my sinful nature, to operate out of my own strength, and not out of the Lord's strength. This happens especially when I'm tired or weary. So, today I was doing a search on verses in Scripture to help me with this issue in my life. My search criteria was "Be strong in the Lord". Many verses came up, but the one that stopped me in my tracks was this one:

Psalm 27:14 Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.

Right now, in my life, this is a time of uncertainty. The most frustrating part is that I can't pinpoint all that is uncertain. I can't limit it to one area of my life. It seems that everything is going by so fast, that everyone is so busy, that there's hardly time to catch my breath. I'm not afraid of doing it all. I'm just not sure what all I'm doing--what I'm really contributing that is meaningful. So, for me, it's been a season of evaluation.

After reading that verse, I pulled up the entire Psalm 27, and here's how it begins:

1 The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear?
The LORD is the stronghold of my life—of whom shall I be afraid?

Do you just feel the burdens of life being lifted away just in the reading of those words? I certainly do. Immediately, the Lord takes control away from us, and places it squarely upon his GIANT shoulders. Immediately I think, "What am I worrying about?" then, I continue reading:

4 One thing I ask of the LORD, this is what I seek: that I may dwell in the house of the LORD all the days of my life, to gaze upon the beauty of the LORD and to seek him in his temple.

Just think about the beauty of the Lord. Take a moment to seek a glimpse of Him. Rest at His feet...all the days of my life...not just today.

5 For in the day of trouble he will keep me safe in his dwelling; he will hide me in the shelter of his tabernacle and set me high upon a rock.
6 Then my head will be exalted above the enemies who surround me; at his tabernacle will I sacrifice with shouts of joy; I will sing and make music to the LORD.

He always points us first to Him, and then to our fellowship with each other. I sat last night at our satellite church and worshiped with believers over there. It was a sweet time of fellowship and we made music to the Lord, and when I left, my heart was truly filled with joy at what had been accomplished in that place.

7 Hear my voice when I call, O LORD; be merciful to me and answer me.
8 My heart says of you, "Seek his
face!" Your face, LORD, I will seek.

Just be still. Seek His face.

11 Teach me your way, O LORD; lead me in a straight path because of my oppressors.

Continue to ground yourself daily in His teachings. This is such an incredible reminder for control freaks like me that DAILY I must surrender my ways to His. I must daily release control and yield to His ways. The straight path is not always the easiest--you may have to cut through a mountain--but His straight path is always the best.

13 I am still confident of this: I will see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living.

If we take time to look, we'll see it. If we are too wrapped up in our lists, our busy-ness, we'll miss the goodness. Take time throughout this week to notice the goodness of the Lord in this land of the living.

14 Wait for the LORD; be strong and take heart and wait for the LORD.

This verse is so affirming for me. I want to "do" all the time. I feel that if I'm not doing something, I'm accomplishing nothing. What an incredible reminder that it's really okay--even in this day and age of rushing around and getting ahead--it's really okay to WAIT.

Lord, help us to walk in Your ways. Help us to wait on Your direction. Fill us with peace and joy as we wait on Your Guiding Hand. We love You. We are Your servants. Use us.

No comments:

On Top of Pecos Baldy

On Top of Pecos Baldy
...what a memory!