Friday, January 25, 2008

Scripture Cards

When I was a little girl, I loved G.A.'s (Girls in Action). I remember one of the earliest verses I learned was James 1:22 "Be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only." I identify with that verse. I am a doer. If you've read other blogs of mine, you'll know that I make no apologies for staying busy. I like to be busy.

One of the things I struggle with is the fear of failure (again, noted in previous blogs). I'm afraid that if I don't get it done, it won't get done. That's incredibly egocentric (self-important) and can at times be a real sin battle in my life. But it's honest. That verse, be ye doers, has stuck with me. I love to work, but with it comes its anxieties.

Several months ago, I confided in a friend some of my anxieties and struggles. Yesterday, he handed me scripture cards--1" X 2" cards that had a subject and a verse. For instance, "Worry" and a verse "Matthew 6:34 For do not worry about today..." As I looked at these verses, I thought of two things:

First of all, I had a great childhood. I couldn't have asked for better parents. My parents are godly people who raised me to know what was right from wrong. Even though there were times I tested it, I knew from them what was right, and I also knew that they loved me. Sometimes that love was tough love. But some of my fondest memories growing up were of us kids eating breakfast and Mom pulling down a scripture card--much like my friend gave me yesterday. She would read it to us and ground us in scripture every day. We didn't memorize it...we simply heard it and started off our days with it. She gave me that same box of scripture cards for my children to begin with them. I have to admit, I haven't been as diligent as she was, but I now see the importance and plan to do better.

Secondly, "Be ye doers of the word and not hearers only." It says, "not hearers only", which supposes that you ARE a hearer BEFORE you are a doer. So often, we are so busy "doing" for the Kingdom, that we forget to listen. What better way to listen than to ground ourselves in Scripture?

I treasure these scripture cards from my friend. I put them in my desk drawer, and will pull them out daily...especially as I struggle with some of the issues laid out in those cards. My husband wants a copy as well. We both thought it was an amazing gift from a godly friend.

So, as you face issues that you struggle with, there are several steps you can take:
Go to your copy of scripture or http://www.bible.com/ . Type in the search engine the thing that you struggle with, and it will list out countless verses to help you with that specific issue. Make your own scripture cards.

Another suggestion is a wonderful little book by Selwyn Hughes. Hughes passed away several years ago, but Dennis and I had the opportunity to hear him speak and we were so touched by his simple testimony, powerful faith, and his tangible application of scripture for our lives. The book is entitled, "Hope Eternal".

I'm so thankful to God for the people He places in our lives. I'm thankful for my godly parents. I'm thankful for my godly husband. I'm thankful for my precious children. I'm thankful for godly friends like the one who took the time to write out the cards for himself, and then wasn't afraid to share them.

Lord, help me to listen today to what Your Word has to teach me. Help me to cast my anxieties and burdens on You. Help me to first "hear" Your directives for my life, and then "do" with my entire being. Thank You, for being our Hope, our Rock and our Deliverer.

2 comments:

Paulette said...

Beautiful Emily, what a sweet gift.
My adopted parents leave for Uganda this week and I did something similar on a card for each day as to what they may face in Uganda and put scripture to it, I also did the reading of the cards with my kiddo's growing up and they too, did not memorize but heard the scripture before they started there day as well.
Thankyou for the reminder that God is concerned about our worries and gives us reasurance in his word, I am going to check out the site you gave on some of my worries!
Be blessed.

Anonymous said...

Scripture Cards are a wonderul idea. There is a website with some great cards with just thw Words of Jesus, so important today
www.scripturecards.net Love in the Lord

On Top of Pecos Baldy

On Top of Pecos Baldy
...what a memory!