Monday, April 7, 2008

The Power of Prayer

I know that many of us experience the incredible, mysterious power of prayer each day. But there are times when God impresses upon us specific things to pray for. Today, I just want to share a few testimonies that prayer is REAL and TANGIBLE and relevant today. God hears His people, and responds boldly.

Let me preface this by saying that Cuban Christians are in the midst of 50 days of prayer. The prayer guide is located at http://www.50dias.com/ if you would like to commit to pray. Here is the blog entry from several days ago:

Day Eleven
Last summer Ivette, a Christian violinist for a Havana symphony orchestra, and some other Cuban Christian musicians used music to share the Gospel with rural Cubans. In one week, 450 people accepted Christ. Ivette returned burdened to win fellow musicians to Christ. Pray for her and another orchestra member as they share their faith with their peers.


Did you read that? In ONE WEEK, God changed 450 lives FOREVER through the actions and obedience of just a few. This entry particularly caught my eye because I know Ivette. Ivette is a violinist that our church has prayed for and helped.

I met Ivette on my first trip to Cuba. She has such a powerful faith and zeal for the Lord. She has a burden for sharing her faith, even amidst the threat of persecution, and a joy that just exudes the moment you meet her. Ivette's violin was in very bad shape. She asked me to pray with her, that God would somehow help her to get a better violin. This was a bold prayer in a place where you can't even get strings, let alone a violin. She didn't ask God for a violin because she wanted a material item. She asked for it because she wanted to use it to God's glory...to witness to others in the symphony. That first trip, she invited many from the symphony to our classes. 60 lives were won to Christ through God's presence in those classes that week. I agreed to pray with Ivette. I shared that prayer with several groups in our church. A year and a half later, on my second trip to Cuba, I was able to return with a nice violin for Ivette. Not only were her prayers answered, but look at how God is using her life and her testimony of His love and His provision!

Today, a friend told me that her husband sometimes feels very specific burdens to share the Gospel with people. He felt such a burden recently with his neighbor and boldly went to his neighbor's house and shared with him the plan of salvation. He asked the neighbor if it was something he had ever heard. The neighbor told him that he had NEVER heard it before. Can you imagine, right here in Arlington, TX, perhaps even next door to you, that there is someone who hasn't heard the Gospel? We should NEVER take that blessed story of Love and Truth for granted. That neighbor died yesterday. I'm so thankful for a burdened heart that didn't let fear, busy-ness or any other excuse keep him from sharing that life-saving Gospel of hope that we know in Jesus Christ.

Our prayers make a difference. Whether it be to bring healing to the body or healing to the spirit, whether it be to start a church or to grow one that already exists, God hears our prayers. And, He is faithful to answer them.

2 Chronicles 7:14-16 says, "...if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land. Now my eyes will be open and my ears attentive to the prayers offered in this place. I have chosen and consecrated this temple so that my Name may be there forever. My eyes and my heart will always be there."

Matthew 18:19-20 says, "Again, I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven. For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them."

Let us pray with boldness and humility like the Cuban Christians, who today ask that God win 1,000,000 Cubans to Christ by 2010 and start 100,000 new churches in the next 5 years. Let us obey without fear or hesitation like Ivette and my friend's husband who shared with his neighbor. Let us continue to gather together and strengthen one another through prayer.

Romans 1:16 says, "I am not ashamed of the Gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes."

Lord, I pray that my actions will bring glory to You today. I pray that You will remove any fears I have in sharing the Gospel. Lord, remind me daily that so long as I act in Your power, You will do amazing and mighty things through me. All I need to do is to seek Your face, humble myself and act in obedience in accordance to Your direction. Help me live a life of worship--unashamed, unquenchable and abandoned to Your will. I love You, Lord.

No comments:

On Top of Pecos Baldy

On Top of Pecos Baldy
...what a memory!