Thursday, July 3, 2008

Humility -- My Least Favorite, but Most Memorable Lesson

Tuesday night, my husband came home from work exhausted. He's been working so hard, and giving every spare minute to our family and the "honey do" list. We are getting ready to leave on a 10 day vacation. I didn't have the heart to ask him to mow the lawn (which DESPERATELY needed it--the grass is growing so fast right now). We have a large yard that requres so much care, and though we feel like we work in it often, there's always something else to do in it. So, instead of hitting him up with "Can you mow the lawn?" the minute he walked in the door, I asked him to show me how to use the mower. It's a new riding lawn mower, so I figured it couldn't be too hard. I could get the yard done in no time, and he could come in and kick his shoes off for a moment.

He was so appreciative, so he quickly gave me a lesson. I got on it, and released the brake to go forward. Immediately, it jerked forward and I was thrown forward. Evidently, I released the brake a little too fast. I slammed on the brake again, laughing (and a little shaken). I looked up, and noticed that there were 8 roofers on my next door neighbors' roof, laughing and pointing at me. A very obvious lesson in humility!!!!! I waved and laughed and continued on with trying to figure out the mower, and finished the lawn (well, almost...my husband had to negotiate the hill in front).

Psalm 25:9 "He leads the humble in doing right; teaching them His way."

This lesson in humility was a quickstart to my week. I've said before that I go to the mountains every year for vacation. I think the main reason why I am so drawn to the mountains is because it is a time of rejuvenation and reflection. But all of that begins with humility. God reminds me PHYSICALLY to be humble. In 24 hours, I'll be standing between two mountains fishing. There is nothing else around. The river rushes so loudly, that nobody would ever hear my voice if I were in trouble. Our cell phones don't work. Internet is a joke. The bears are around...and cougars...and skunks. It's a huge, unknown world. There's always a moment as I'm fishing that I realize just how vulnerable I am. It reminds me to thank my God, my Provider, my Shelter.

"Who am I, that the Lord of all the earth
Would care to know my name
Would care to feel my hurt
Who am I, that the Bright and Morning Star
Would choose to light the way
For my ever wandering heart?"
-- song by Casting Crowns

Every year, while up there, I climb to the top of Hamilton Mesa. It reminds me of how small I am. I am a mere dot on the canvas of this earth. I look around and see peak after peak after peak. On my peak alone, there are miles of wilderness and trails. I am but a dot.

"I am a flower quickly fading
Here today and gone tomorrow
A wave tossed in the ocean
A vapor in the wind" -- song by Casting Crowns continued

I am a mere dot. But the God of the Universe cared enough to send His Son to die for me and for my sins. I am not worthy, but He thought I was worth rescuing. He cares. He, who is busy with the 6 billion other people in the world, still hears my voice when it calls out to Him. He desires a relationship with me. How mind-boggling is that?

"Still You hear me when I'm calling
Lord, You catch me when I'm falling
And You've told me who I am
I am Yours." -- song by Casting Crowns continued

I love this time in the mountains. It reminds me that God is God and I am not. It reminds me that He is Lord. It reminds me of my commitment to let Him shepherd, and let me learn and follow. These are all lessons contrary to what the world instills in us every day. This is my grounding time--as I turn my eyes upon Jesus. It's a great physical reminder of the rest of the world fading away--the things of earth becoming dim--as I stand there, a dot, against that marvelous canvas. I am reminded that I don't come from gasses colliding in outerspace and accidentally creating what we now call Earth, but that the God of the Universe molded me, shaped me and made me uniquely who I am, just as He did each mountain and each blade of grass. But He created man even more special--in relationship with Him. Here are the final words of this great worship song:

"Not because of who I am
But because of what You've done
Not because of what I've done
But because of who You are
You've told me who I am.
I am Yours." --song by Casting Crowns continued

Psalm 69:32 "The humble will see their God at work and be glad. Let all who seek God’s help be encouraged."

Lord, help me to see You at work throughout this week. Help me to focus on what You desire. Make clear my part in Your Kingdom so I can follow with fervor and confidence. Keep me humble so you can redirect my path as needed. I love my time with You! I am Yours.

No comments:

On Top of Pecos Baldy

On Top of Pecos Baldy
...what a memory!