Monday, July 28, 2008

Monterrey Devotion Day 1: Unity

We are preparing for a unique journey. God has great things in store. He has been at work long before we ever knew where Monterrey was on a map…long before we were ever born.

My favorite book of the Bible (if I had to choose one) is the Gospel of John, followed closely by the letter to the Philippians. John captures the sights, sounds and emotions of the Gospel. He saw things with such a unique perspective. John doesn’t talk of the physical details of Christ’s birth, but rather sums up the purpose and significance in the first 14 verses of the Gospel account. He talks about light coming into a world of darkness. He reminds us that this light is God in human form, but that Jesus (the Word) was with God in the beginning. He speaks of the fact that though we were made by God, we did not know Him. And then, in verse 14, John writes the most glorious words—he writes about something that would change this world FOREVER:

14And the Word became flesh, and made His dwelling among us, and we saw His glory, the glory of Jesus the One and Only from the Father, full of grace and truth.

We are preparing to share this incredible TRUE ACCOUNT with a world in desperate need of the hope of this message. We will share it in song on Friday and Saturday nights. We will share it through encouragement as we serve alongside our brothers and sisters in Christ at Prince of Peace Baptist Church. We will share it with prisoners in prison. We will share it with children who come to participate in a craft or drama or instrument. We will present to them the account of this Gospel. So, right now, as we begin, let us begin by praying for unity in heart and spirit.

Read with me Philippians Chapter 1, beginning verse 2:
2Grace to you and peace from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. 3I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, 4always offering prayer with joy in my every prayer for you all, 5in view of your participation in the Gospel from the first day until now. 6For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

Skip to verse 9:
9And this I pray, that your love may abound still more and more in real knowledge and all discernment, 10so that you may approve the things that are excellent, in order to be sincere and blameless until the day of Christ; 11having been filled with the fruit of righteousness which comes through Jesus Christ, to the glory and praise of God.

My prayer for right now is that as we embark upon this journey, our love in Christ may abound more and more in REAL knowledge and ALL discernment so that we may be and be a part things that are excellent…to the Glory and Praise of God. What a noble purpose!

As you finish this reading, thinking about what lies ahead, Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus, and look closely at His prayer from the Garden just before His journey to the cross, as accounted in John 17:

20 “I am praying not only for these disciples but also for all who will ever believe in me through their message. 21 I pray that they will all be one, just as you and I are one—as you are in me, Father, and I am in you. And may they be in us so that the world will believe you sent me.

22 “I have given them the glory you gave me, so they may be one as we are one. 23 I am in them and you are in me. May they experience such perfect unity that the world will know that you sent me and that you love them as much as you love me. 24 Father, I want these whom you have given me to be with me where I am. Then they can see all the glory you gave me because you loved me even before the world began!

Isn’t it amazing that Jesus, Himself, was praying for our unity in Spirit and Truth in that garden. His last thoughts and preparation before He gave Himself up for us was that WE would be unified and made one so that the Father’s glory would be revealed to this earth. Let us pray now that everyone who comes in contact with us throughout the coming days sees Him. Let His light and His grace radiate off of our faces. Let our words and instruments and song give Him glory. May people believe that God sent His only Son into the world because He loved us and loves them, and that He desires to have a relationship with them. What an awesome responsibility!

He is beginning a work in us. He will be faithful to complete it. As we close our devotion for today, ask Him to enlighten your hearts toward unity. Think thoughts of unity. You can’t go wrong with focusing on names of praise for our Savior. After that, think of ways to build up the brother or sister sitting beside you, or befriend a brother or sister on this trip that you don’t even know. Ask God to embolden you and speak through your actions, your song, your instruments, and your words.

I am rejoicing that you are on this journey with me! I am thankful to God for each one of you on this journey:
…for Richie, Beth, Laney, Keaton, Hayden, Malcom, Carl, Tami, Matt, Kerry, Jana, Jonah, Raeann, Lisa, Carmen, Valerie, Lynne, Jana, Halie, Daryl, Jack, Julie, Ken, Nancy, Chrisann, Kim & Ben

Dear Lord, we are humbled that You have called us forth as a team for this purpose. We pray that it will be Your purpose, and that we won’t go astray. Lord, we turn over our hearts to you even now, that You will focus us on You, thus focusing us on Your goals. We thank You, our Savior, our Redeemer, the Lover of our Soul, the Rock, our Refuge, our Deliverer, our Friend. Savior, like a shepherd, lead us now as we embark upon Your journey!

No comments:

On Top of Pecos Baldy

On Top of Pecos Baldy
...what a memory!