Tuesday, July 22, 2008

No Less Days

Barry, Jana, Daryl and I have been in the Worship Leader National Conference this week. We just left a room of 2500 people all joining hands and singing the first verse of "Joy to the World" a capella, in perfect harmony. It was an amazing time of worship.


Last night, as we sat in worship, we heard some wonderful worship leaders, and some amazing new songs. We heard a variety of styles, expressions, etc. But what was overwhelming was God's presence and His sovereignty. It was a time filled with praise--I felt like my heart was exploding with praise. There were many songs that I didn't know, but on those, I was able to just write the texts on my hearts as others sang, or open my journal and just write thoughts of praise.


Last night, the Pastor started us off with an image. Before we ever even sang a note, he merely said the word, "Manna." It was an image that immediately focused me on what God had to teach me and on the blessings of being in His presence and uttering praise and adoration to Him. At one point during last night's worship, we got to a moment when we all sang "Amazing Grace". As we began to sing the last verse, "When we've been there 10,000 years...we've no less days to sing God's praise than when we first began." That phrase just burned in my mind.

Can you imagine? A time of worship where time isn't limited. It will be a place where we will utter praises and be in His presence for eternity. We won't be counting down the minutes until lunch. We won't be counting down the days to an event. We won't be counting down the years until our lives are over. We'll be serving in praise among the saints...actually as a member of the saints...for eternity.

I have a dear friend whose mother is very sick right now. She is living on "borrowed time"--as are we all. As I focused on that phrase, I thought of my friend and her Mom--both of whom are strong believers. That image of her Mom praising Jesus around the throne...not counting down days...not worrying who she might be leaving behind...not feeling pain or sickness. Just pure, holy praise. I could just picture her radiating with God's glory. It was an image that brought tears to my eyes. It is an image I long for--a time when I'm not living on borrowed time, but rather home with my King.

As I left, I was reminded once more that I should NEVER take worship for granted. I should NEVER treat it as routine or ordinary. I should take EVERY opportunity personally and corporately to rehearse for Heaven! I should take EVERY opportunity to fill our hearts and our lips with praise.

I love the Psalms, and want to finish praying exerpts from Psalm 25:
"To You, O LORD, I lift up my soul; in You I trust...Show me Your ways, O LORD, teach me Your paths; Guide me in Your truth and teach me, for You are God my Savior, and my hope is in You all day long...My eyes are ever on the LORD...Guard my life and rescue me...may integrity and uprightness protect me because my hope is in You."

No comments:

On Top of Pecos Baldy

On Top of Pecos Baldy
...what a memory!